Knitting is so much fun. You can make clothes, blankets, shawls, toys, and more. If you are looking for a quick and fun project to work on, check out our list of shorts knitting patterns. During the summer months, you can never have enough pairs of shorts.
25 Knitting Shorts Patterns
Below are 25 shorts knitting patterns. There are paid patterns as well as free shorts knitting patterns. We have included patterns for every member of your family.
1. Jog On Shorts Knitting Pattern by Knitatude
These knit shorts are designed to be loose and comfortable. They have a tie at the waist, giving you the perfect fit. They were inspired by jogging shorts. But the designer promises there is no jogging required.
The shorts knitting pattern is knit seamless, top-down, in the round. It is written in nine sizes from XS to 5XL. It can be completed by an advanced beginner comfortable with knitting in the round.
2. Knitted Shorts With Cable Design Pattern by Handmade Rukodelky
This free shorts knitting pattern was designed for teenage girls looking for a bit of style. You can make the shorts in muted colours or get creative with bright fun colours.
The left side and right side are knit separately and then sewn together. The finished waist will measure about 28 inches (71.12 cm) unstretched and 36 inches (91.44 cm) stretched. The length is 10 inches (25.4 cm).
3. Ombre All Day Knitting Shorts Pattern by girlyknits
Knit up a pair of these cute shorts to add a splash of colour to your wardrobe. Using Knit Picks Chroma Twist Worsted 2-ply yarn you will get a lovely gradient effect. The yarn comes in a variety of shades, so you can make several pairs of shorts using your favourite colour combinations.
This shorts knitting pattern is knit in the round from the top down in one piece. The shorts are knitted until you reach the legs where they are separated and worked one at a time. This makes it easy to adjust the length of the inseam
4. High Waisted Stripe Knit Shorts Pattern by ByLambert
Are you looking for a high-waisted shorts knitting pattern? These shorts are ideal for loungewear or a day at the beach. The Bermuda-style shorts have a beautiful bold stripe design.
The beginner/intermediate level pattern is knit using circular knitting needles. The drawstring is crocheted. Included are 4 sizes: XS, S, M, and L.
5. Cable Braid Shorts Knitting Pattern by TheRealKnittyKitty
These shorts are designed to hug your curves. They have a classic cable design and a boy shorts fit. The pattern is fun to knit, and the shorts are sexy to wear. This is an intermediate level knitting pattern. You will need knowledge of increases, decreases, and cables. The pattern is written in adult sizes XS to XL.
6. Prairie Rose Set by DROPS Design
Make a complete set using this free knitting pattern from DROPS Design. You get instructions for both the crop top and the shorts. The crop top is knit bottom up in rib. The shorts are knit top down in stockinette stitch. Included are sizes from S to XXXL. All measurements are in cm.
7. Hemingway Shorts Knitting Pattern by theknittingbooth
The Hemingway Shorts can be made with or without pockets. They have a straight fit and an elastic waist. They are ideal for lounging around the house or getting outside and enjoying nature.
The shorts are knit in the round from the top down. There are shaping options, so you will be able to create the perfect hip-to-waist ratio. Included are two rise options. One sits above the top of the belly button. The other is just below the belly button.
8. Lana Lounge Set | Knit Top and Shorts Set by KnottheendCo
Wear this knit set as jammies or out to the park. They are super comfy and stretchy. You will want to wear them every day.
This is a beginner to intermediate level knitting pattern. The top is knit in the round from the bottom up, then the straps are knit flat. The shorts are knit in the round from the waist down and separated at the legs.
9. Keep Dreaming Shorts & Pants Knitting Pattern by girlyknits
Use this pattern to knit a pair of shorts or pants. They are designed to be cosy while hugging your curves. Included is a full-page photo tutorial that shows you how to knit short rows. There are also links to tutorials. There are a wide range of sizes.
10. Lace Trim Lounge Set by ByLambert
The high-waisted, Bermuda-style shorts have a corded waistband and lace trim edges. Along with the shorts knitting pattern, you also get a pattern for a matching, chunky tank top with spaghetti straps. An intermediate level knitter can complete the pattern in about 5-6 hours. Included are sizes XS to L.
11. Light Summer Knitted Shorts Pattern by hollycwatson
Are you looking for a high waisted shorts knitting pattern? These shorts are cute and comfortable. They have a drawstring waistband and wide flowy legs. You can wear them as casual wear or pajamas. The pattern is available in sizes XS to XXL. They are knit using fingering weight yarn and US 4 (3.55 mm) double pointed knitting needles.
12. Pantashrooms Knitting Shorts Pattern by Knitty
How cute are these mushroom themed shorts? The Pantashrooms have a loose silhouette, perfect for hiking. The free shorts knitting pattern includes instructions for women’s sizes XS-3X. They are worked from the bottom up, starting with a picot cast on.
13. Easy Knit Shorts Pattern by KnitsMeDesigns
Make a complete outfit with this download. You get both the basic top and shorts knitting patterns. You can wear this set to the park, the grocery store, or lounging around the house.
These are intermediate level knitting patterns. The shorts are knit using US 4 (3.55 mm) circular knitting needles. The shirt is knit using double pointed needles. Included are instructions for sizes XS-3XL.
14. Lazy Dukes Knit Shorts Pattern by NineBellaCo
These shorts are super comfy and easy to make. They are ideal for lounging and watching a movie or reading a book. The Lazy Dukes PDF shorts knitting pattern uses Caron Cotton Cakes or any size 4 (worsted weight) yarn. Included are sizes 0-24 (XS-3XL).
15. Daisy Shorts Knitting Pattern by ByLambert
These chunky shorts are fun and whimsical. The shorts are adorned with large lazy daisy chain stitches and french knots. They have a fold over waistband with an i-cord drawstring.
This is a beginner-friendly shorts knitting pattern. The shorts can be worked up in as little as 4-5 hours. Included are sizes S to XL.
16. Bombshell Shorts Knitting Pattern by Katie Canavan
Cables are not only for sweaters. They can be used to make these cute shorts too. The shorts have a covered elastic waistband and a body-hugging fit. The pattern includes sizes S to XL.
17. Mens Easy Knit Shorts Pattern by KnittingmemoryDesign
Here is a unisex shorts knitting pattern that is ideal for beginner knitters. The shorts are perfect for a day at the beach. To make these shorts, you need 1 skein red colour and 1 skein blue colour (100g/315m). Or choose any colour combination you prefer. The size is easily to customise.
18. Gams Knitted Shorts Pattern by Craig Hunter
Use this unisex knitting pattern to make a simple and comfortable pair of shorts. They have an overall simple design with cabling down the left leg. Included are sizes for men’s and women’s shorts. The free shorts knitting pattern has written instructions only. There are no step-by-step photos.
19. Lulu Knit Shorts Pattern by Amy Philip
Your little one will look adorable wearing these simple, summer shorts. The shorts have a twisted rib waistband and cord tie detailing.
The Lulu Shorts knitting pattern is beginner-friendly. It is worked seamlessly from the top down. Included are sizes 0-6 months, 6-12 months, 1-2 years, and 2-3 years.
20. Fermata Knitting Shorts Pattern by ViolistKnits
The Fermata Shorts are the perfect summer project. They are easy to knit and comfortable to wear. This shorts knitting pattern is worked from the top down in one piece. The pattern includes sizes XXS to XL.
21. Bay Shorts Knitting Free Pattern by DROPS Design
Make a pair of solid colour kids shorts using this free, simple shorts knitting pattern from Garn Studio. The shorts are lightweight and ideal for hot summer days.
The shorts are knitted top down with a double seed stitch. The pattern calls for DROPS Baby Alpaca Silk or Drops Safran. The pattern is written for children sizes 0-6 years.
22. Baby Child Seamless Shorts Pattern by RedPhoenixPattern
These children’s shorts have a beautiful, intricate design. The pattern can be used to make baby bloomers or kid’s pants. Included in the download are 5 sizes from 0-3 to 1-2 years. The shorts are knitted seamlessly in one piece using DK 8 ply yarn.
23. Easy Knit Shorts Pattern by LengoKnitStudio
Make these toddler shorts in a solid colour or 2 colours. You can use a standard cord tie or a ribbon. This shorts knitting pattern contains sizes 0-3 months, 3-6 months, 6-9 months, 9-12 months, 12-18 months, 2 years, 3-4 years, and 5-6 years. You will need both circular knitting needles and double pointed needles.
24. Baby Knitting Shorts Pattern by OxanaSorokinPatterns
Bloomers are a staple in a baby’s wardrobe. These ribbed shorts have plenty of stretch, so they will slip on over a diaper.
There are detailed written descriptions for each size. The intermediate level pattern is written for sizes 0-6 months, 6-12 months, 12-24 months, 2-3 years, 3-4 years, and 4-5 years.
25. Baby Shorts Knitting Patterns by LengoKnitStudio
These adorable baby shorts have lovely cable lace designs down the legs. Included are instructions for both the shorts and pants.
The shorts knitting pattern includes sizes: 0-3 months, 3-6 months, 6-9 months, 9-12 months, 12-18 months, 2 years, 3 years, and 4 years. It is an intermediate level pattern.
Knitting Shorts Frequently Asked Questions
Why You Will Enjoy Knitting Shorts?
Knitting shorts can be a fulfilling and enjoyable project. Whether you are interested in making shorts that fit you perfectly or are looking for comfort, knitting shorts can be a great option.
Here are some facts about knitted shorts:
- You can knit shorts from a variety of materials, from natural cotton to synthetic fibres. Choose a material that you will be comfortable wearing. Also, take into consideration the style and function of the shorts.
- Knitted shorts patterns are designed in a wide range of styles making them a versatile fashion choice. You can find cute sporty shorts to casual and sophisticated.
- Knitted shorts are lightweight and breathable. They are a great choice for warm weather and lounging around the house. Knitted shorts are perfect for staying cool and comfortable at the beach, on hikes, shopping, etc.
- There are shorts knitting patterns for all skill levels. Knitted shorts can be worked in pieces and sewn together, or seamlessly.
- Knitting your own shorts gives you the ability to customise the perfect fit and colour.
- Knitted shorts are typically incredibly comfortable to wear. Depending on the pattern you use, they can be soft, stretchy, and breathable.
- For some people, knitted shorts may evoke feelings of nostalgia. The shorts can remind them of their childhood and simpler times.
Do you enjoy knitting? Have fun working on one of these shorts knitting patterns.
It can be hard to find knit shorts at the store that fit you perfectly. Instead of wasting your time trying on countless pairs of shorts, make your own using a shorts knitting pattern.